Here is the recipe for Jim's Almost World Famous Fried Tacos that he made for dinner on Tuesday. All it took was one crunchy bite to remind me exactly why I keep him around. I hope you enjoy these tacos as much as I do, but keep your hands off my man.
Jim's Almost World Famous Tacos
Vegetable oil for frying
6 taco-size flour tortillas
1 can vegetarian refried beans
2 packages Lightlife Vegetarian Taco Meat
1 package Old El Paso Taco Seasoning, divided
taco fixings of your choice
(we use cheese, shredded lettuce, red onion, black olives, sour cream and salsa)
- In a small pan, combine the refried beans with half of the packet of taco seasoning. Heat through, then turn off heat and set aside until taco "meat" is ready.
- In a medium pan, mix taco "meat" and the other half of the taco seasoning packet until well-combined. Cook over medium heat until warmed through.
- Pour enough oil into a large skillet to cover the bottom of the pan by 1/4 inch. Heat the oil over medium-high heat until it begins to shimmer.
- Once the oil is hot enough for frying, quickly fry each tortilla until golden brown on each side. Remove from the oil, fold into a taco-shape, and drain on a paper towel.
- When the shells are cool enough to handle, use a spatula to spread a thin layer of beans on the inside, and then top the beans with a thin layer of "meat". Repeat with all 6 tortilla shells.
- Once all 6 tacos have been filled with beans and "meat", stuff them with your taco favorite toppings and enjoy!